Student Science Laboratory Safety Contract
ESC1000L and GLY1010L
I AGREE TO:
- Wear shoes that fully surround and cover the feet completely in the laboratory
(NO SANDALS, FLIP-FLOPS, MULES, CROCS, OR BALLET FLATS)
- Students must wear BC approved lab coats; Approved lab coats are sold in the BC Bookstore. It is recommended that lab coats be laundered after use each day.
- Act in a responsible manner at all times in the laboratory
- Follow all laboratory safety rules and instructions given by the instructor
- Use good housekeeping practices in the lab
- Wear eye protection, gloves and apron when instructed to do so
- Know the location of emergency equipment (first aid kit, fire extinguisher, eye wash, etc.)
- Know how to get help in an emergency
- Tie back long hair and remove dangling jewelry
- Never work alone in the laboratory
- Never take chemicals or other substances out of the laboratory without the knowledge and consent of the instructor
- Never eat, drink, or smoke in the laboratory
- Place bookbags and personal belongings in the designated location for each laboratory classroom.
- Students should not come to lab if they have a fever, chills, headache, body aches, cough, sneezing, shortness of breath, new loss of smell or taste, congestion, nausea, vomiting or diarrhea.
- It is highly recommended that students wear a 2-ply, 100% cotton cloth face mask. Masks should be worn,according to BC protocol (over nose and mouth, prior to entry, during lab entirety, and must not be removed until you have exited the lab). (For informational purposes only, masks are Fisher Scientific, catalog# 18-400-100).
- Students must wear BC approved biosafety glasses (ANSI Z87.1) for Earth Science, Geology and Physics labs. Approved biosafety glasses are sold in the BC Bookstore. Students enrolled in Chemistry labs must wear chemical splash goggles (ANSI Z87.1). Both biosafety glasses and chemical splash goggles must be worn according to BC protocol (prior to entry, during lab entirety, and must not be removed until you have exited lab).
- Students must wash their hands using BC provided hand soap upon entering lab and then again prior to exiting lab.
- Students must disinfect their lab stations with BC provided disinfectant upon entering labs and again prior to leaving lab pursuant to the protocol provided by the lab manager.
- Students must follow all social distancing rules provided by instructor.
- Bookbags that may easily be cleaned, or disinfected daily are recommended.