All students enrolled in a laboratory course where chemicals are in use at the South Campus of Broward College must follow the rules below which are recommended by the American Chemical Society. These rules are to ensure the student safety.
1. Students must follow all safety directions given by an instructor or laboratory technician.
2. The use of a laboratory coat or apron is optional.
3. Goggles or safety glasses are optional except for physics where they will be required for specific sessions. Your instructor will make these safety devices available as necessary during the semester.
4. Wearing a face covering over your nose and mouth is strongly recommended while in the laboratory, regardless of vaccine status.
5. The wearing of open-toed or high heeled shoes in the laboratory is prohibited.
6. No food, drink, gum, or candy will be allowed in the laboratory at any time.
7. Smoking is prohibited in the laboratory or anywhere else in the building.
8. No running or horseplay in the laboratory.
9. Students must know the location of the fire alarm, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, and emergency exits.
10. Students are not permitted in the laboratory without the supervision of an instructor. Everyone must wait outside the laboratory until the instructor arrives. Students are not permitted in the laboratory prep room at any time.
11. Students must immediately inform the instructor of any injury or accident that occurs in the laboratory.
12. Trash should be placed in the trash cans only. The sinks, trays, desk drawers or cabinets are not to be used for the storage or disposal of waste.
13. Broken or missing equipment or other materials should be immediately reported to an instructor. Equipment should not be removed from one station to the other.
14. It is recommended that students wash their hands before leaving the laboratory. Hand soap and paper towels are available in the laboratory.
15. The use of cell phones or any personal electronic devices in the laboratory is not recommended. The College will not be responsible for damages caused to your cell phone or any other personal devices used in the laboratory.
By signing below, I certify that I have read all of the laboratory safety rules given here and agree to comply with them. I understand that failure to abide by these rules may result in my dismissal from this class for the day or the semester. I also understand that not following the rules can result in the reduction of my grade for an assignment or for the entire course. Broward College is not liable for any injuries, ailments, or sickness resulting from students’ disregard of these rules.