LABORATORY SAFETY INFORMATION AND CONTRACT
(Chemistry Laboratory Courses)
All students enrolled in a laboratory course where chemicals are in use at the Miramar West Center of Broward College must follow the rules below. The rules follow the recommendations of the American Chemical Society. The purpose of the rules is to promote the safety of all students in the course.
1. Students should consult with their physician prior to taking this laboratory if they have any of the following conditions: asthma, allergies, epilepsy, pulmonary or cardiac dysfunction, pregnancy, or any other serious health problem.
2. Students must follow all safety directions given by an instructor or laboratory manager.
3. A laboratory coat or a laboratory apron must be worn in the laboratory at all times.
4. Goggles must be worn at all times while in the laboratory. Safety glasses and eyeglasses are not suitable eye protection in laboratories where chemicals are in use.
5. Wearing a face covering over your nose and mouth is strongly recommended while in the laboratory, regardless of vaccine status
6. Articles of clothing (pants, dresses, and skirts) must completely cover the legs and have hem lines to the ankles in the laboratory.
7. Articles of clothing (pants, shorts, dresses, and skirts) must have hem line to the ankle in the laboratory.
8. The wearing of open-toed or high heeled shoes in the laboratory is prohibited. Shoes must cover the top of the foot.
9. Students with long hair must tie the hair back.
10. No food, drink, water, gum, or candy will be allowed in the laboratory at any time.
11. Smoking is prohibited in the laboratory.
12. Students should not apply lip balm or any other cosmetics while in the laboratory.
13. No running or horseplay in the laboratory.
14. Each student must know the location of the fire alarm, fire extinguisher, emergency eye wash and shower, gas shut-off valve and emergency exits.
15. Students are not permitted in the laboratory without the supervision of an instructor. Please wait outside the laboratory until your instructor arrives. Students are not permitted in the laboratory prep room.
16. Students must inform the instructor of any injury or accident that occurs in the laboratory immediately.
17. All spills must be reported to the instructor immediately.
18. Chemical Waste must be disposed of in the proper waste containers provided and in the manner indicated by the instructor. Do not pour chemicals or reagents down the drain unless told to do so by your instructor. Do not dispose of liquids or dry chemicals in the trash cans.
19. Broken glassware must be reported to the instructor immediately. The glass must disposed of in the broken glass containers not in the trash can. This practice protects the cleaning and laboratory staff from injury.
20. Trash should be placed in the trash cans only. Please do not dispose of items in the sinks, trays, desk drawers or cabinets.
21. Broken or missing equipment or other materials should be reported to your instructor so that replacements may be obtained. Do not take equipment from other stations.
22. All glassware and other equipment used during the course of the laboratory should be cleaned at the end of each laboratory period. Students should leave their stations clean and organized.
23. Before dispensing reagents, swirl the bottles to ensure mixtures are uniform. Pour out only the needed amount. Do not return any excess reagents to their stock bottles, as this practice may cause contamination. Replace the caps on reagent bottles between uses.
24. It is recommended that you wash your hands upon entering and before leaving the laboratory. Hand soap and paper towels are available in the laboratory.
25. The use of cell phones or any personal electronic devices in the laboratory is not recommended. The College will not be responsible for damages caused to your cell phone or any other personal devices used in the laboratory.
By signing below, I verify that I have read all of the laboratory safety rules given here and agree to comply with them. I understand that failure to abide by these rules may result in my dismissal from this class for the day or the semester. I also understand that not following the rules can result in the reduction of my grade for an assignment or for the entire course.