LABORATORY SAFETY RULES AND CONTRACT
All students enrolled in an anatomy and physiology laboratory course at the Miramar West Center of Broward College must follow the rules below. The purpose of the rules is to promote the safety of all students in the course.
1. Students should consult with their physician prior to taking this laboratory if they have any of the following conditions: asthma, allergies, epilepsy, pulmonary or cardiac dysfunction, pregnancy, or any other serious health problem.
2. Students must follow all safety directions given by an instructor or laboratory manager.
3. A laboratory coat must be worn in the laboratory at all times.
4. Goggles or safety glasses must be worn during lab experiments that involve dissections. Eyeglasses are not suitable eye protection for dissection laboratories.
5. Wearing a face covering over your nose and mouth is strongly recommended while in the laboratory, regardless of vaccine status
6. Articles of clothing (pants, shorts, dresses, and skirts) must have hem line below the knee in the laboratory.
7. The wearing of open-toed or high heeled shoes in the laboratory is prohibited. Shoes must cover the top of the foot.
8. Students with long hair must tie the hair back.
9. Food, drink, water, gum, or candy will not be allowed in the laboratory at any time. These items must be put away in a backpack or bag.
10. Smoking is prohibited in the laboratory.
11. Students should not apply lip balm or any other cosmetics while in the laboratory.
12. No running or horseplay in the laboratory.
13. Each student must know the location of the fire alarm, fire extinguisher, emergency eye wash and shower, gas shut-off valve and emergency exits.
14. Students are not permitted in the laboratory without the supervision of an instructor. Please wait outside the laboratory until your instructor arrives. Students are not permitted in the laboratory prep room.
15. Students must inform the instructor of any injury or accident that occurs in the laboratory immediately.
16. Dissected specimens must be disposed of in the appropriate biohazard container (red plastic bags).
17. Slides and coverslips used for blood smears must be disposed of in the red sharps containers. Do not clean these items.
18. Student-prepared slides that have not been used for blood smears may be washed with soap and water, dried, and returned to the slide boxes. Plastic coverslips may be discarded in the sharps container or the trash can.
19. Contaminated broken glassware must be disposed of in the red sharps container. Broken glassware without contaminates must be disposed of in the broken glass receptacle. This practice protects the cleaning and laboratory staff from injury.
20. Trash should be placed in the trash cans only. Please do not dispose of items in the sinks, trays, desk drawers or cabinets.
21. Broken or missing equipment or other materials should be reported to your instructor so that replacements may be obtained. Do not take equipment from other stations.
22. All equipment used during the course of the laboratory should be cleaned at the end of each laboratory period. Students should leave their stations clean and organized.
23. It is recommended that you wash your hands upon entering and before leaving the laboratory. Hand soap and paper towels are available.
24. The use of cell phones or any personal electronic devices in the laboratory is not recommended. The College will not be responsible for damages caused to your cell phone or any other personal devices used in the laboratory.
By signing below, I verify that I have read all of the laboratory safety rules given here and agree to comply with them. I understand that failure to abide by these rules may result in my dismissal from this class for the day or the semester. I also understand that not following the rules can result in the reduction of my grade for an assignment or for the entire course.