Pointers (Conjunctive Adverbs) Exercise

This document is protected by copyright. It may be used and reproduced only for non-profit educational use.

Pointers (Conjunctive Adverbs) Exercise

Add commas, semicolons, or periods as needed. Make your marks easily readable. If you add a period, make the next letter a capital. Do not add any other connecting words.

My mother works as an accountant and a real estate agent also she sometimes does some interior decorating.
My dad does not go to sports events or concerts instead he watches them on television.
My cousin is hooked on pills and booze therefore she cannot hold a job.
Of course I help around the house for example last week I did all the laundry.
My father is a good athlete and is still in good shape as a matter of fact last year he ran a marathon.
My father drinks like an Irish priest my mother however abstains like a Methodist.
I plan to get a law degree then I intend to join a prestigious firm and become a partner.
He went to his parents’ house for dinner later he went to a party and met a nice girl.
Sure he participated in the demonstration in fact he was one of the organizers.
Last winter my grandmother tried snowboarding next she will probably try parasailing or driving a race car.

Answers

All the items needed a period or semicolon to show two complete sentences.

Put a semicolon only where you would be willing to put a period and a capital letter. In other words, a semicolon can go between two complete sentences that are closely related. The comma after the pointers (conjunctive adverbs) is optional for short words.

My mother works as an accountant and a real estate agent. Also she sometimes does some interior decorating.
My dad does not go to sports events or concerts. Instead, he watches them on television.
My cousin is hooked on pills and booze; therefore, she cannot hold a job.
Of course I help around the house. For example, last week I did all the laundry.
My father is a good athlete and is still in good shape. As a matter of fact, last year he ran a marathon.
My father drinks like an Irish priest; my mother, however, abstains like a Methodist.
I plan to get a law degree. Then I intend to join a prestigious firm and become a partner.
He went to his parents’ house for dinner. Later, he went to a party and met a nice girl.
Sure he participated in the demonstration. In fact, he was one of the organizers.
Last winter my grandmother tried snowboarding. Next she will probably try parasailing or driving a race car
Last updated 9/18/06