April 2002 State Practice Final ENC 0021

This document is protected by copyright. It may be used and reproduced only for non-profit educational use.

_______________________________________ 1. The classic English detective relied upon his encyclopedic knowledge and analytical mind to solve an intricate mystery by interpreting a series of subtle clues. 2. _, the classic American detective relied on his perseverance and energy to solve a messy crime by muddling his way through series of violent encounters. 3. When the English detective set a trap, he knew the outcome ahead of time and was prepared to deal with any response. 4. The American detective set a trap simply to stir things up and see what happens, and as often as not, the bad guys would end up knocking him unconscious. 5. The English detective story visits drawing rooms and country manors. 6. The American detective story goes into bars and alleys. 7. The English detective was cultured and refined, the product of a university education. 8. The American detective was common and crude, a graduate of the school of hard knocks. 9. Both English and American detectives have been in countless movies. 10. The English detective spoke the eloquent, formal language of the privileged class. 11. _, Sherlock Holmes would say, “It is elementary, my dear Watson; the malefactors impeded our pursuit by siphoning fuel from our conveyance.” 12. Sam Spade would say, “Simple, dollface, the goons sucked the gas out of our tank.” 13. In contrast, the American detective spoke the forceful slang of the streets. 14. While the English detective is like a polished diamond in an exquisite, golden setting, the American detective is a uncut stone in the mud.

1. Which would be the best topic sentence for this paragraph? a. The classic English detective relied upon his encyclopedic knowledge and analytical mind to solve an intricate mystery by interpreting a series of subtle clues. (Sentence 1) b. Although English detectives and American detectives had many differences, they were also similar in many ways. c. English detective stories appeal to the intellect, while American detective stories appeal to the senses. d. There are many different kinds of detective stories. e. The similarities and differences of American detectives and English detectives.
  2. Which sentence is least relevant to the passage? a. Sentence 6 b. Sentence 9 c. Sentence 12 d. Sentence 13 e. Sentence 14
  3. What is the best order for sentences 11, 12, and 13? a. 11. _, Sherlock Holmes would say, “It is elementary, my dear Watson; the malefactors impeded our pursuit by siphoning fuel from our conveyance.” 12. Sam Spade would say, “Simple, dollface, the goons sucked the gas out of our tank.” 13. In contrast, the American detective spoke the forceful slang of the streets. b. 11. _, Sherlock Holmes would say, “It is elementary, my dear Watson; the malefactors impeded our pursuit by siphoning fuel from our conveyance.” 13. In contrast, the American detective spoke the forceful slang of the streets. 12. Sam Spade would say, “Simple, dollface, the goons sucked the gas out of our tank.” c. 12. Sam Spade would say, “Simple, dollface, the goons sucked the gas out of our tank.” 11. _, Sherlock Holmes would say, “It is elementary, my dear Watson; the malefactors impeded our pursuit by siphoning fuel from our conveyance.” 13. In contrast, the American detective spoke the forceful slang of the streets. d. 12. Sam Spade would say, “Simple, dollface, the goons sucked the gas out of our tank.” 13. In contrast, the The American detective spoke the forceful slang of the streets. 11. _, Sherlock Holmes would say, “It is elementary, my dear Watson the malefactors impeded our pursuit by siphoning fuel from our conveyance.” e. 13. In contrast, the The American detective spoke the forceful slang of the streets. 12. Sam Spade would say, “Simple, dollface, the goons sucked the gas out of our tank.” 11. _, Sherlock Holmes would say, “It is elementary, my dear Watson; the malefactors impeded our pursuit by siphoning fuel from our conveyance.”
  4. What word or expression, if placed in the blank in Sentence 2, would clearly state the relationship? a. Therefore b. For example c. In addition d. On the other hand e. In fact
  5. What word or expression, if placed in the blank in Sentence 11, would clearly state the relationship? a. Instead b. For example c. In addition d. On the other hand e. Meanwhile
  6. What sentence supports Sentence 5? a. Sentence 6 b. Sentence 9 c. Sentence 10 d. Sentence 14 e. No sentence supports Sentence 5.
  7. What sentence supports Sentence 13? a. Sentence 14 b. Sentence 12 c. Sentence 11 d. Sentence 10 e. No sentence supports Sentence 13.
  8. What sentences support Sentence 1? a. Sentences 3 and 7 only b. Sentences 3, 5, 7, and 11 c. Sentence 14 d. All the sentences support Sentence 1; it is the topic sentence. e. No sentences support Sentence 1.
  9. If one of the sentences in the paragraph could do the job of being the topic sentence for this paragraph, which one must it be? a. Sentence 1 b. Sentence 2 c. Sentence 7 d. Sentence 9 e. Sentence 14
  10. If addied to the reading, which sentence would the following information support?

“Typically, the solution relies upon knowing the Russian Cyrillic alphabet or the location and size of calluses on a cellist’s fingers or the ashes left behind by a particular brand of cigar.”

a. Sentence 1

b. Sentence 3

c. Sentence 5

d. Sentence 7

e. It does not support any of the sentences.

11 Yesterday I woke up in the morning with a _ headache.

a. monster

b. magnificant

c. severe

d. classic

e. world class

1. The children were supposed to be quiet, but when Jose started crying louder then a baby, the teacher began to lose her patience. a. where b. quite c. than d. loose e. patients
  2. Choose the sentence in which the modifiers are correctly placed. a. After waiting for over an hour, the tow truck finally arrived. b. The tow truck finally arrived after waiting for over an hour. c. After we waited for over an hour, the tow truck finally arrived.
  3. Pick the best sentence structure: a. I prefer gross out comedies; however, my sister has a preference for mushy romances. b. Gross out comedies entertain me; however, my sister is entertained by mushy romances. c. I like gross out comedies; however, a mushy romance is what my sister likes. d. I prefer a gross out comedy; however, my sister loves mushy romances. e. I love gross out comedies; however, my sister loves mushy romances.
  4. Choose the sentence that expresses the thought most clearly: a. Sarah failed the final exam; nevertheless, she failed the course. b. Sarah failed the final exam, whereas she failed the course. c. Sarah failed the final exam; thus, she failed the course. d. Sarah failed the final exam so that she failed the course. e. Sarah failed the final exam; however, she failed the course.
  5. My parents have never hit more than three numbers in the state lottery nevertheless they keep blowing twenty dollars a week on tickets. a. lottery; nevertheless, b. lottery, nevertheless, c. lottery, nevertheless d. lottery nevertheless, e. no change
  6. Yesterday morning I arise from bed before six. a. arised b. arose c. arisen d. arosed
  7. After I decided to entered college, I realized how easy I had it back in high school. a. decide b. enter c. realize d. have e. no change A B C
  8. I have an English teacher who fails all students who cheats on a test. a. has b. fail c. cheat d. no change
  9. First-time mothers will have many problems, but if you remain calm, solutions will come. a. they remain b. he/she remains c. she remains d. one remains e. no change
  10. Raising my children has been difficult because you never can predict what they will get into next. a. one b. I c. he/she d. they e. no change

22.a. Jim did not vote for Wilson because he does not care about the environment.

b. Jim did not vote for Wilson because Wilson does not care about the environment.

c. Because he does not care about the environment, Jim did not vote for Wilson.

d. no change

1. After I told my friends I had a new girlfriend, they invited she and I to dinner. a. her and I b. she and me c. her and me d. me and she e. no change
  2. The audience clapped loudly because they thought she performed her routine perfect, but the officials judged her too harshly. a. loud b. perfectly c. harsh d. no change
  3. Among my brothers and me, I run more fast. a. most fast b. fastest c. faster d. no change A B C D
  4. A lot of students wonder about how SAT scores will effect their college education. a. Alot b. wander c. affect d. they’re e. no change
  5. Mr. Kellog my high school football coach played for the Tampa Bucs in the NFL. a. Kellog, my high school football coach b, Kellog, my high school football coach, c. Kellog my high school football coach, d. Kellog my high school football; coach e. no change A B C D
  6. Jim told his college chemistry professor that a Dentist appointment made him miss class. a. College b. Chemistry c. Professor d. dentist e. no change
  7. Because the zoning proposal was __, few of the board members understood its significance. a. cutting edge b. very unique c. confused d. innovative e. complicating
  8. I would not want to play professional football although I would like to earn an NFL salary each year. a. football although, b. football; although c. football, although, d. football. Although, e. no change A B C
  9. One lone girl standing a part from the group waited to see whether one of the girls would talk to her. a. loan b. apart c. weather d. no change
  10. Choose the sentence in which the modifiers are correctly placed. a. After getting drunk and trashing our hotel room, the manager threw us out. b. The manager threw us out after getting drunk and trashing our hotel room. c. After we got drunk and trashed our hotel room, the manager threw us out. d. The manager, after getting drunk and trashing our hotel room, threw us out.
  11. Pick the sentence that expresses the thought most clearly: a. Bob wrecked his car so that he bought a new one. b. Bob wrecked his car, and he bought a new one. c. Bob wrecked his car, yet he bought a new one. d. Bob wrecked his car, so he bought a new one. e. Bob wrecked his car, for he bought a new one.
  12. Pick the best sentence: a. My favorite pastimes are playing tennis, fiction, movies, and I like watching televised sports. b. My favorite pastimes are playing tennis, fiction, movies, and watching televised sports. c. My favorite pastimes are playing tennis, reading fiction, going to movies, and watching televised sports. d. My favorite pastimes are tennis, fiction, movies, and watching televised sports.
  13. My father moved from Boston to Boca Raton so that he could work for IBM, then IBM closed the plant and laid him off. a. Boca Raton, so that b. IBM; then c. plant, and d. no change
  14. On my seventeenth birthday yesterday, I walked into this bar, but before the bartender would bring me a drink, he checks my ID. Then he threw me out. a. walk b. brings c. checked d. throws e. no change
  15. Any student who doesn’t know that plagiarism constitutes one of the most serious offenses are in for a big surprise if the teacher notices a violation of the rules. a. don’t b. constitute c. is d. notice e. no change A B C
  16. People should be careful what they wish for because you just might end up getting it. a. You b. you c. they d. no change
  17. After Eduardo lost in the first round he decided not to enter any more tennis tournaments. a. first round, he b. first round; he c. first round. He d. no change A B C
  18. I don’t like it when a stranger starts messing around with my dogs. a. dont b. start’s c. dog’s d. no change

The answers are in the State ENC 0021 Skills Chart

You need to get 25 out of 40 correct (62.5%) to pass the objective test.

Last updated 11/06/2007